John Wayne is Big Leggy...

...and indeed so is my latest offering
(Hayzi Fantazi anyone?)

Now I know this one isn't going to be everyone's cup o tea, but bear with me, cos I've had it in my head for a while now and had to get it out
There's actually a wee bit of a backstory to this one..no wait, come back!

Picture a school play. This particular year the chosen theme was the Ugly Bug Ball. My costume was that of a punk bug (readers of this blog will be detecting a bit of a theme here); it comprised deeley boppers, swimming costume covered in zips, wellies and a pair of wings which my Dad had made at work by welding together metal rods (they weighed a ton and were probably in part responsible for the stoop that I've had ever since!)

Anyroad, my humiliation wasn't as bad as that of Billy, the kid (no relation) I was on stage with. He was a spider...his costume: shorts, vest and 4 pairs of his mums tights stuffed with paper n stapled to him. Unfortunately the tights just sort of hung there looking like...well tights...

Can't for the life of me remember what my line was, but I do remember that when teacher hit the music it was his cue to launch himself into the audience and prance around in a "scary" fashion

The song in question was Boris the Spider and since that day whenever I hear The Who I always think of that song, that play and Billy with his tights flailing wildly in the crowd!

So with that in mind..
Ready??
Don't recoil in horror!
Brace yerself!

Bit of hot pre-embroidery action...



There's watercoloury spidey all leggy there! Free stylee with the paint again, he's all pretty in yellows and turquoisey greens with flashes of violets and reds.
And here he is again, hanging off his web which is a mass of crissy crossy embroidery silks in various lilac/lavender shades.



In addition to the Creepy Crawly chorus from Boris the Spider by The Who



I've also hand stitched the lines:
"Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy"
From Mary Howitt's The Spider and the Fly, which I've always loved



The "parlour" is all prettified with a positive confetti of wee stitches in pinks, greens, reds and blue, pretty silky/glittery daisies and a few french knot buggy bits skittering about

But wait!

Is it a bird?! Is it a plane?! ..Nope, it's Spiderman Spiderman doing what ever spider can...in this case, just hanging around, doin his thing in amongst the floweryness!



So there you have it...all a bit demented, but it makes me smile and hope it makes you smile too! :)


Also in the news:
BONG!! Bunny pops up on Modish!



BONG! Budgies hanging around at BettyJoy!



BONG!! Now available for your purchasing pleasure at Miso Funky

...go on, sniff a budgie...you know you want to!

Thank you for droppin' by! :)

Comments

littledear said…
once again, brilliant! those tiny spiders look real! O_o
yay! my bun is famous! congrats on the features!
Undaunted said…
This is the only spider I've ever seen in my life that hasn't instantly made my anxiety levels rise! Unfortunately I can't say the same for those little black ones! But I'm impressed at your ability to make the scary look unscary and even beautiful. Now, if you could just do the same with my bills...
Laughed my butt off, picturing poor little boy in tights-my eldest was a spider in, wait for it- his pre-school nativity!!, i know mad, it was a fairy tale one, little miss muffet etc....you get the picture, anyway back to your picture-love it and my eldest is a fan of Spiderman!!

Emma :~)
hens teeth said…
Mimi's lovely spider climbed up the spout, down came the rain and washed mimi's spider out,
out came the sparkly embroidery and dried up all the rain and mimi's lovely spider climbed the spout again! Duh!
? said…
I am enjoying it. Thank you for posting this.
scarpette rosse said…
It's very beatiful,
Sonia
Joanie Hoffman said…
it's excellent! (but then I used to have 30 tarantulas so I would love it).
the colors are wonderful.
happy days,
joanie
p.s. congrats on the ads too.
Anonymous said…
even though I'm absolutely terrified of spiders and usually get the shivers just looking at a picture of one, I love this, could be used as part of a desensitisation programme for spider phobics like me!
I discovered you wonderful work on flickr and now I'm curious to learn more about you and your work. So, of course, I will put you on my blog list!
Bea
? said…
beautiful
Mieke said…
This is awesome!! Love the colors!!
Jennie said…
LOL! brilliant post. I found your blog whilst perusing another and I am glad I did. You are very talented. :D

Popular Posts