Tuesday, 19 May 2009

Be it ever so humble...

...there's gno place like gnome...titter

Well this is probably one of the more unusual requests I've had but oooo I've had fun doing it!

I was contacted by a lovely lady via my Etsy shop who wanted a portrait of a gnome.
I was pretty much given a free rein (my most favourite of all!) with just the addition of her favourite lyric from Nothing Better by The Postal Service and also to give him a kind of wistful/heartbrokeny look, which I hope I've managed to achieve...see wotcha think

So introducing with a bow...

Gnormanthegnomethankyouverymuch!




Mr.Gnome, despite his increasing sense of abandonement, is resplendant in shades of deep bluey grey against fiery red/orange with whiffs of pink and purples and a rather spiffy orangey belt


Well and truly stitched up



Aww, see him there, all unsure of foot in his pointy-nointy hat, standing under a tiddly lantern waiting for his girlfriend...will she show or swerve?



A smattering of glass beads amongst a silky undergrowth, starting with gold and working the way through the rainbow, add extra glittery goodness...you may have noticed, I do like a bit of undergrowth!






I cannot tell you how much fun I had doing those toadstools..which are edged by the Postal Service lyric and a few tiny blue hearts (see what I did there!?)
There's also a couple of wee lanterns dotted about to help him find his way home in the dark...alone



Currently winging his way to his gnew home in the US of A...where I hope he will find the love he is looking for :)

Stayed tuned folks as there's some hot embroidery swapping action currently in progress and some spiffy Mr.XStitch blogging action to report!

Thanks for droppin' by! x;)

13 comments:

meplusmolly said...

What a FAB piece!!!!!! I'm sure the lady in question will be over the moon with her commission, how could she not be??!!!!! love it ;0 x

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

I like the toadstools too, great to see your work on MrXStitch! BFN. Lesley

Hens Teeth said...

Mimilove has been painting and stitching away,
a sad little gnome has been made this way.
Off to USA he wings,
lots of joy and laughter he will surely bring!

Cool stuff girly x

Gina said...

I'm rather taken with Gnorman the Gnome!

Joanie Hoffman said...

Gnobody paints gnomes like gyou!
Agnother fine work of art.
Happy gnights,
Joanie

Kasey said...

I love this! Your work is excellent!

Ansie said...

I just found you over on Feeling Stitchy. wow!! I love your work. I am definetely adding you to my favourites. I love the combination of paint and embroidery. I mean, I really LOVE IT.

Sylvie said...

I discover your art on "feeling stichy" blog, and I am a fan!!!
This piece is sooo beautiful...

Sylvie

www.stuffstuffnco.com

Kayla coo said...

Great gnome and the toadstools are brilliant,like a fairy story.xx

jan said...

He is gorgeous, I think the lady will be very pleased!

Jackie said...

It fab but you've got to wonder about the man in her life.

bliss cocotte said...

I love so much this one!!! Your work with painting and stitching is amazing! fabulous!!!

Kim said...

Holy smokes! This blows me away - it's WONDERFUL!